Re: bash crashes on tab completion of usernames (with nss-ldap)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Alex Samad wrote:

When i try this
ls ~al<tab>

Ah, that is what I missed before... tab completion of user names
not directory entries

malloc: unknown:0: assertion botched
free: start and end chunk sizes differ
last command: ls -l

so readers, how can I debug this further and has  any one else seen this
problem on their machines ?

are you running nscd ?

does `getent passwd` show you all the users ?

I have had a look at the libnss-ldap code and the change set is rather minor
(although I have only looked at the diff not the resulting code).

I can't see why one shell would work and the others fail, unless they
do their own expansion instead of usernames instead of using whatever
the nss services provide (if anything).

I must confess to never really looking at the nss functionality in
detail, for me it was enough that, unlike AIX, it just pretty much
works (with some nasty caveats if you're using nscd and have multiple
sources for data).

--
Rick Nelson
A feature is nothing more than a bug with seniority.