apt-get download rate limiting SOLVED

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
I'd like to run 'apt-get -d upgrade'
and limit the download rate to half the 130 KB/sec
capacity of my DSL line, so it doesn't get in the way.
I tried adding a file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/76download
containing this

Acquire
{
  http
  {
    Dl-Limit "65";
  };
};

That code limits the download rate of any one package
to 65 KBps, but then apt-get fetches two at a time,
and they saturate the line.
The winning configuration is:

Acquire
{
  Queue-mode "access";
  http
  {
    Dl-Limit "65";
  };
};

I tried Queue-mode "host" first, and still got
multiple simultaneous downloads.
That isn't obvious from the apt.conf manpage.

  "Queuing mode; Queue-Mode can be one of host or
  access which determines how APT parallelizes outgoing
  connections.  host means that one connection per
  target host will be opened, access means that one
  connection per URI type will be opened."

With Queue-mode "host", I may have got one "connection,"
whatever that is, but two downloads came through
it at once, at 130KBps, both from the same archive host.
Maybe it's a bug.

I also tried Pipeline-Depth "1"; which had no effect.

Posted to benefit the next person trying to
cumulatively rate-limit apt-get HTTP downloads.

Cameron