Re: New User-Network Problem Still

On 17 Feb, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hhhm, I have:

> hosts:          files dns

> You could at least try putting 'dns' immediately after 'files'.
had tried before, & now looks like that

> The only thing I can find related to mdns (and which seems relevant
> here) is avahi-daemon, which could be another culprit. Try stopping it

> /etc/init.d/avahi-daemon stop
Ok stopped & removed.

Still no difference :-(
I'm getting a bit peed off with it all really, I thought Linux was easy to
get connected with !
I've never had this much trouble before. Even with a windows98 laptop I
managed to get networking copied across to it & working!

Is there any way I can tell what the DNS is actually doing.
If I ping an address, _sometimes_ I can get the browser to connect to it,
but not always.

:-(

--

mitch@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk