Re: Password problems

On 16 Feb 2008, at 16:54, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:15:07PM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:32:56 -0600
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:
* Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> [080216 17:21]:

I changed my password using passwd...and now some apps want the old
password...others want the new one!

For example when I do sudo aptitude update in a terminal sudo will
only accept the new password...however if I run Synaptic...it will
accept only the old password. What's going on here and how can it
be fixed ?

Perhaps synaptic is asking for the password of the normal user -- not
the password of root -- in order to access the keyring?

  There is no root account on this box. It has always asked me for my
password as I am the first user. As I said this business didn't start
until a changed my password.

Unix dosen't work without a root account.

I think this guy uses Ubuntu, which disables root login by default (passwd -l root)

However, this sounds like a bug in Synaptic. It should _not_ be storing the previous password but only using a mechanism that will hash what you
type and compare it with the password database.

It may also be that gksu saved the old password in keychain, and he set the keychain's password to be the same as the old password, and now it's just asking him for the password to the keychain.

--
Siraaj Khandkar

Ron Paul - Hope for America
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/