Re: Password problems

Jonathan Doe wrote:
I changed my password using passwd...and now some apps want the old
password...others want the new one!
For example when I do sudo aptitude update in a terminal sudo will
only accept the new password...however if I run Synaptic...it will
accept only the old password. What's going on here and how can it
be fixed ?

Is it the case that only GUI apps are using the old password, but everything else works with the new one? I am not familiar with Synaptic -- is it synaptic that is requesting a password, or are you running it via sudo (eg gksudo or something)? If you are running it with gksudo, does sudo synaptic (at the command line) work with the new password?

Has your machine been rooted? There was that kernel vulnerability just last week...

My gut instinct is that you're using some sort of keychain-like system unwittingly, and when you changed your password, you did it via a mechanism that did not update the keychain-like system. I'm unfamiliar with what such systems might be available on Debian, but it seems like KDE has some sort of "keycrypt" or something or other that does something like this.

--
Kent