Re: mail vs. Mutt

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:27:14PM +0000, Andrius wrote:
> Andrius wrote:
>> Andrei Popescu wrote:

>>> For mail to be able to send to the internet you have to activate address
>>> rewriting in your MTA (user@localhost -> your_email@server.net)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andrei
>>
>> True.
>>
>> Andrius
>>

> Actually, it is not true. You can send emails as is (root@body.forsally.zx

Are you really using your root account for mails?

> like mine) or change /etc/hostname to domain of your email's address
> domaine (for example to name machine as 'yahoo.com') and create user
> name as first part of your email address.

My ISP will not accept mails from a different domain (valid or not). Of
course I could change hostname and/or mailname, but that wouldn't be
quite correct, or am I missing something (It sounds like spoofing to
me)?  And you would also have to have the same username as the local
part in your mail.

You can send mails via gmail without address rewriting (because they
rewrite the address anyway), but for gmail you need working smtp auth
and tls.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)