Re: Most recent linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 fails to install debian-user@lists.debian.org,

I've run df -h on the Thinkpad. /dev/hda1 is 94% full, so it looks like that is where I'll have to focus my attention.  Thanks!

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 03:54:16PM -0800, Steve Mazurek wrote:
> I have been trying to install on etch the most recent
> linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 on an IBM Thinkpad T23 with a Pentium 3 and on a
> Gateway desktop also running a Pentium 3 using aptitude update  && aptitude
> upgrade.  Every time I do this, I get the error message:
>
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-
> image-2.6.8-6-686_2.6.18.dfsg.1-1-18etch1_i386.deb (--unpack): failed in
> buffer_write (fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during
> './lib/modules/2.6.18-6-686/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core.ko' : No space
> left on device
>

> I am not sure what this means (my hlinux books are not available) nor do I
> know what to do about this.  I've found nothing googling the problem.  I
> switched to etch after it became stable and have had no trouble upgrading or
> installing using aptitude.  I'd appreciate any information you could give
> me.  Thanks.

/lib is full.  /lib has to be on your / partition (even if /usr and /var
are separate).  If /var is not separate, you have more places to look.

If everything is separate, you may have more kernels installed than you
need.  Look in /lib/modules and see how many directories (one for each
kernel) you have.  I only keep 2 (current, and the last version that
worked).

If you're using the kernel meta-package for your arch, as new versions
come out, it doesn't remove old versions, so they can pile up.  You have
to find the kernel version you want to remove and do so with your
package manager (e.g. aptitude).

Good luck.

Doug.