Re: sshfs and permissions of /dev/fuse

permission is right

you should add you to group fuse

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
I've installed fuse with "module-assistant auto-install fuse".
Then, after loading the fuse module, I've tried sshfs, but I get
the following error:

fuse: failed to open /dev/fuse: Permission denied

Here /dev/fuse has the following permissions:

crw-rw---- 1 root fuse 10, 229 2008-02-14 13:25:53 /dev/fuse

I wonder whether this is correct or if there is a bug. Indeed, the
sshfs FAQ suggests that the permissions should be 666.

---- quote from /usr/share/doc/sshfs/FAQ.txt.gz --------------------
Create the device node

   If you don't use udev, you may get this error message:

   fusermount: failed to open /dev/fuse: No such device or address

   Before loading the fuse kernel module, create the device node
   manually:

   mknod -m 666 /dev/fuse c 10 229

See the 666 above. Neither the README file nor the FAQ say that the
user should be added to group fuse.

/usr/share/doc/fuse-modules-2.6.24-1-amd64/README.Debian mentions
the group membership problem, but just to be able to use fusermount,
which is quite different.

So, what's the problem?

  * Incomplete sshfs documentation which should say that the user
    should be added to group fuse also to be able to use sshfs?
    (But isn't that a security problem because it gives the user
    permissions for whole fuse, not just sshfs?)

  * Bad /dev/fuse permissions (if there is no security concern with
    fuse)?

  * Bad /usr/bin/sshfs permissions? (i.e. should it be sgid fuse or
    something like that, so that *any* user can use sshfs while not
    necessarily having access to whole fuse?)

  * Anything else?