Re: very ugly (unreadable) fonts on max resolution

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:54:35AM -0500, Andrey Dmitriev wrote:
> I've (re)installed debian on one of my boxes last night, and whenever I
> run X-windows in 1680x1050 mode, I can barely see anything on my screen.

What Debian version?

> I have to fall back to 1280x960 to get fonts readable, but I can't say
> they're nearly as crisp as on on XP box (using that same screen).
>
> Is there anything I can do to fix this? I've played with 'fonts' and
> 'resolutions', but I can't seem to fix it.
>
> The monitor is E207WFP Dell
>
> Fighting with x-windows system is just as fun as it was 11years ago.

Actually lots have changed.

> Here's my xorg.conf, I had to create it by hand, as dpkg-reconfigure
> method didn't actually seem to write the proper config.

Maybe it needed only a few adjustments (see below).

> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "DELL E207WFP"
>         Vendorname      "Dell"
>         Modelname       "DELL E207WFP"
>         Horizsync       30.0-83.0
>         Vertrefresh     56.0-75.0
--------------------------^^^^^^^^^

Are these the correct values (according to the monitor specs)?

Also Xorg might be getting your dpi wrong. Try adding something like

	DisplaySize XXX YYY

where XXX YYY are the physical dimensions of your monitor in mm.

[sniped modelines]

You shouldn't need any modelines and if you run lenny or sid remove all
"Display" SubSections as well as HorizSync and VertRefresh. AFAIR you
need them only if Xorg guesses them wrong.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)