KDE doesn't start after Xfce installation

Hi

Being really scared of how KDE 4 looks like I'm trying to be
proactive and started looking for alternatives.

After installing Xfce I can't start KDE, though. I don't use any
display manager, and this is what I get when invoking startkde:

xsetroot: unable to open display ''
xset: unable to open display ""
xsetroot: unable to open display ''
startkde: starting up...
ksplash: cannot connect to X server
xprop: unable to open display ''
kdeinit: aborting. $DISPLAY is not set
ERROR: couldn't attach to DCOP server
startkde: shutting down
startkde: running shutdown scripts
xprop: unable to open display ''
startkde: done

Before this I used to launch KDE by just using startx and not
having a .xinitrc file. Only if I wanted to experiment with
exotic window managers I used it. Now, if I don't have this file I
get into Xfce automatically when starting X. If I have it and
specify KDE it doesn't work either.

I looked at the default places where (according to man) startx
looks at and couldn't figure out what's telling it to launch Xfce
(and perhaps stopping KDE to start?).

Some hints?

Jose