Re: Etch for Mac

Stevan Gengo wrote:
I'm attempting create a webpage using iWeb. I purchased a domain name, but I was told by tech support at GoDaddy where I purchased the name that I would need to get "etch" software to get my site recognized by the various search engines.

My questions are these: Which version of etch should I buy, and is there someplace in the San Francisco Bay Area I can purchase the disk(s)? (I saw the many vendors on your website, but I am at a loss as to which version I need to get). My Mac is a desktop G5. I am not running the most recent Apple released system. (I believe I still have Tiger installed). If you recommend simply downloading the software from your site, I would do that but it sounds like purchasing a disk causes fewer problems of installation for someone who is not a computer professional.

Hey Stevan!

You've gotten some bad and/or misleading information. Whatever GoDaddy meant by "etch", I'm pretty confident they did not mean Debian Etch.

Debian is an operating system, like Mac OS/X or Windows XP is an operating system. Whereas OS/X is designed to run on Apple Mac hardware, and Windows is designed to run on "PC"-style hardware, Debian can run on either (as well as lots of other types of hardware, like telephones and car radios and server-class machines in the bowels of an IT business, etc). Etch is to Debian as Tiger is to OS/X; it's a version of Debian.

Whereas you could download Debian and install it on your Macintosh, I seriously doubt that's what you want to do, as it would require a level of knowledge more akin to being a "computer professional" than you indicate yourself to be. (But you could download and burn and boot from a LiveCD (Google for Kubuntu for Mac or LiveCD for Macintosh, etc) and boot from the LiveCD for a non-harmful demo of what a Debian-style OS would look like on your Mac.)

I can't for the life of me figure out what the GoDaddy tech support intended to tell you; I don't know of any quick way to get search engines to find your pages other than to do a good job of putting keywords into the appropriate section of you HTML headers.

--
Kent