RE: need info on audio recording performance testing

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Serena Cantor qipaishi2006@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:36:28 -0800 (PST)
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: need info on audio recording performance testing

I have a TV card. I use a audio cable from TV audio out to sound card
line-in.
I often recording TV, so I want to find out sound card performance
during TV recording. Which program can test it?

I have 2 sound cards: one is ISA SB16 (which use sb module), the other
is PCI Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4281 (which use cs4281 module). Which one
is better for audio recording?

I use producer from real.com which use real media format. Sometimes
producer warns :"Channel 0 clips moderately". What does that mean?

>The term "clipping" in this context means that the input dynamic range
(the difference between the max and min signal amplitudes) exceeds the
dynamic range of the receiving device (usually an A/D converter).  The
clipping is eliminated by reducing the amplitude (e.g. volume) of the input
signal.
Larry