Re: gdm session chooser list

--- Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu> wrote:

> > However, after trying to understand these configs,
> my
> > annoyance of the duplicates is now much less than
> my
> > annoyance at trying to eliminate them. Is it just
> me,
> > or does gdm seem a bit "over the top" when it
> comes to
> > configuration?
> > I never really took a liking to Gnome....always
> found
> > config to be a pain. I'm still feeling that way. I
> use
> > XFce primarily, and like it very much. My
> Dreamlinux
> > (Debian Etch) distribution does use some Gnome
> > processes however.
> >
> > Best regards.
> >

> Hey Angus,
>
> Yeah GDM seems like it is an overly complicated
> piece of software. But that is because it is heavily
> customizable and is used for a variety of purposes
> (remote login, safe mode, etc). There is another
> lightweight session chooser called xdm if I am not
> mistaken but it is not as "pretty" as gdm.
>
> I guess if you don't need gdm you can choose to
> eliminate it from startup and have your X server
> automatically login to XFCE. I did this before and
> have the notes somewhere if you need it.
>
> I myself don't use the GNOME window manager at all.
> I use a very lightweight WM called DWM
> (www.suckless.org/dwm). Amazing piece of software.
> Check it out. It takes a while to get used to but I
> find myself more productive now that I am using
> this.
>
> Regards,
> Amit

Thanks for your feedback Amit, much appreciated. While
I probably don't *need* gdm, I like it's convenience.
The annoyance of there being duplicate entries for
sessions, as I mentioned is no big deal, really.
I've read a bit about xdm, and I may give it a try.

I'm not familiar with DWM, but I do use Fluxbox quite
regularly as an alternative window manager. I like
trying different wm's, prevents boredom. :)

Thanks once again....best regards.

--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
-- Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Be a better friend, newshound, and