Re: gdm session chooser list

> However, after trying to understand these configs, my
> annoyance of the duplicates is now much less than my
> annoyance at trying to eliminate them. Is it just me,
> or does gdm seem a bit "over the top" when it comes to
> configuration?
> I never really took a liking to Gnome....always found
> config to be a pain. I'm still feeling that way. I use
> XFce primarily, and like it very much. My Dreamlinux
> (Debian Etch) distribution does use some Gnome
> processes however.
>
> Best regards.

Hey Angus,

Yeah GDM seems like it is an overly complicated piece of software. But that is because it is heavily customizable and is used for a variety of purposes (remote login, safe mode, etc). There is another lightweight session chooser called xdm if I am not mistaken but it is not as "pretty" as gdm.

I guess if you don't need gdm you can choose to eliminate it from startup and have your X server automatically login to XFCE. I did this before and have the notes somewhere if you need it.

I myself don't use the GNOME window manager at all. I use a very lightweight WM called DWM (www.suckless.org/dwm). Amazing piece of software. Check it out. It takes a while to get used to but I find myself more productive now that I am using this.

Regards,
Amit