Re: [OT] dialup modemspeed change

On Feb 11, 2008 8:39 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 03:38:14PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
> > I'm going to guess that Telmex is a state-owned utility and not a
> > private monopoly?  That would explain the better service right
> > there...
>
> I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in Romania the telephone company
> got a LOT better after being privatised.

Privatization works in third-world economies.  Give it time:  As soon
as they realize they're a monopoly and has a newly relatively rich
Romanian public by the balls, expect service to decline and prices to
climb.  Day 396 waiting for Qwest to fix my broken phone line...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca