Re: Gigabyte M61P-S3 and wild MAC address of ethernet interface

> Problem solved! :-D
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> I am still wondering why this kind of problem is possible. Is
> the
> problem the hardware, the driver or the kernel? Or is it just
> the
> "property" that I am not aware of?
>

> Tero Mäntyvaara

Hello,

I have this exact same motherboard, and I experienced this same problem.  As I understand it (through several Google searches), the main cause of the problem is that the onboard Nvidia NIC is not supported correctly by the forcedeth driver in Etch.  Basically, the driver isn't able to correctly query the NIC for the MAC address.  Because it's not able to get a real MAC address from NIC, it assigns a random one instead, which causes some bizarre behavior.  The specific problem that I was having was that the device number of the NIC would change each time I rebooted (since the MAC address was different), so it was eth0, then eth1, then eth2, etc.

Another person also had problems with this NIC and the forcedeth driver.  That post is here:

Hope this helps.

    - Dave