Re: Video card suggestion

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:45:31PM -0500, KS wrote:
>> I am planning on assembling an AMD based system. I noticed that most of
>> the motherboards that I am looking at (socket AM2 or AM2+) do not
>> onboard video card. That isn't a problem as I will put a dedicated video
>> card in there. But I'm a bit confused as to which brand to go for:
>> Nvidia or ATI.
>
> It depends (as always).
>
> -- Do you want or need 3D, or have you been happy with the nv driver?
>
> -- Do you have philisophical or security concerns around using nVIDIA's
> kernel blob driver?
>
> Check out the opendesktop website and follow the links and see where
> things stand right now with ATI.  My feeling is that if ATI is opening
> up specs, we should support them once the ATI drivers come on line.
> That website should let you know.
>
> Doug.

Yes, 3D is needed at times .... when I want to play games. Although that
isn't that often, but still.

But when I'm paying for the nVidia or ATI cards, I want their own
drivers to work and utilize all the features of the hardware. It is
another case that I am using nv instead of nVidia right now, but it is
easy to get it working again. How do ATI cards fare in that regards? Is
installing and removing ATI drivers ( proprietary ) as easy as nVidia's?
How different is the performance?

Oh, and how does nouveau fare for nVidia? Has anyone tested it yet?

KS.