Re: Archiving audio (high fidelity)?

* A. F. Cano <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org> [080210 16:21]:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:25:55PM -0500, Zach wrote:
> > I would like to transfer my collection of LPs (record albums) and
> > audio cassette tapes onto optical media for archival.
>
> The other poster already gave good advice on various issues.
> I tried to do that some time ago.  It is a lot of work.

The recent advent of low-cost ($200 to $1000) high-resolution (16-bit
and 24-bit) digital flash recorders with USB output suddenly has made
most direct-to-computer recording obsolete.  All the pitfalls of
electrical noise, drivers, and interface software can be avoided.
Digitize and record to flash in one operation, then transfer to the
computer via USB with a simple drag-and-drop operation.

Even if you insist upon recording directly to a computer drive, the
use of an external interface (connected to the computer via USB or
Firewire) typically is a far superior approach to the use of a PCI
soundcard.

Check out the apparatus which is available from a dealer such as
www.bswusa.com.

RLH