Re: Archiving audio (high fidelity)?

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:25:55PM -0500, Zach wrote:
> I would like to transfer my collection of LPs (record albums) and
> audio cassette tapes onto optical media for archival.

The other poster already gave good advice on various issues.
I tried to do that some time ago.  It is a lot of work.  I was
using a pretty good Audigy sound card and my stereo is pretty
good (NAD), but I got a ground loop somewhere, even when I plugged
the computer in the same power strip as the stereo.  Did a few
test recordings, couldn't get rid of the hum and gave up.

It would be easier to buy the CD equivalents, unless of course
they don't exist.  That way, the recording studio would do all
the work that you'll end up doing.  I found that to get an optimum
recording, I had to digitize each song multiple times to adjust
volume levels to get the max dynamic range without clipping.
And then there was the ground loop, so I gave up.  Maybe I'll
try again some time.

Definitely, record at least in CD-quality.

A.