Re: [Debian-User] Something wrong with udev / usb?

On Feb 9, 2008 8:31 PM, Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat February 9 2008 06:12:18 pm Javier Vasquez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using kernels 2.6.23 and 2.6.24 (debian stock), and on them I
> > can't get my usb external disk to work.  There's no /dev/sd* device
> > showing up, although I have ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd modules up, I also
> > installed usb_storage and usbatm modules just  in case, but nothing...
>
> I've noticed this too with testing when I plug a usb drive into the front
> plugs on my box. I added the device to /etc/fstab and after that it works as
> expected. I'm not sure why that is. Only one of my drives does this and I
> don't use it often so I haven't looked any further.
>

> > This used to work automatically with udev before (as soon as I
> > connected the usb device, I got /dev/sda or /dev/sa1, not sure which).
> >  I'm not sure with which kernel this stopped working.  The ones I have
> > available are just these 2 I mentioned...
> >
> > Can anyone enlighten me please?

Hmm, I do have entry points on my /etc/fstab for the usb device, but
of course they depend on the devices been mapped to /dev/sd*.  The
problem is that there's no /dev/sd* at all, so the mount entries I
have under /etc/fstab are useless (of course if they are tried, the
error about the "/dev/sd*" not present will immediately show up,
that's how I found this)...  The problem is not a renaming one either,
since there's no device to pick...

Thanks,

--
Javier