alsaconf works, startup doesn't

Hi! I'm not exactly sure what I've done, since I've been instructed in #debian. But I've been advised to file a report. Anyway.
My problem is that I can configure my C-MEDIA 8738 (8378?) sound card to work, but it won't stay like that after a restart.
I have debian 4.0, Linux version 2.6.18-4-686 (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-12) (waldi@debian.org) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)) #1 SMP Mon Mar 26 17:17:36 UTC 2007

I have a dual core pentium D at 2.8 Ghz, 1 gb of ram, ati x1300 radeon video card, 2 hard drives. i'm have installed debian for two days, so i can't really offer more.

here's what i've been advised to add.

izua:/home/izua/Desktop/Manowar# lsmod | grep cm
snd_cmipci 33792 0
gameport 14632 1 snd_cmipci
snd_opl3_lib 11360 1 snd_cmipci
snd_mpu401_uart 8192 1 snd_cmipci
snd_pcm_oss 38432 0
snd_mixer_oss 15648 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 67620 3 snd_cmipci,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer 21252 3 snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 10216 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd 51300 14 snd_cmipci,snd_opl3_lib,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer,snd_hwdep

Module Size Used by
snd_cmipci 33792 0
gameport 14632 1 snd_cmipci
snd_pcm_oss 38432 0
snd_mixer_oss 15648 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 67620 2 snd_cmipci,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 10216 1 snd_pcm
snd_opl3_lib 11360 1 snd_cmipci
snd_hwdep 8900 1 snd_opl3_lib
snd_mpu401_uart 8192 1 snd_cmipci
snd_seq_dummy 4004 0
snd_seq_oss 30368 0
snd_seq_midi 8192 0
snd_seq_midi_event 7072 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 46544 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 21252 3 snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq
snd_rawmidi 22496 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device 7884 6 snd_opl3_lib,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
snd 51300 13 snd_cmipci,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_opl3_lib,snd_hwdep,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore 9248 1 snd
fglrx 1468940 22
ppdev 8676 0
lp 11012 0
button 6672 0
ac 5188 0
battery 9636 0
ipv6 226016 10
dm_snapshot 15552 0
dm_mirror 19152 0
dm_mod 50232 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
loop 15048 0
tsdev 7520 0
floppy 53156 0
serio_raw 6660 0
psmouse 35016 0
i2c_i801 7468 0
parport_pc 32132 1
parport 33256 3 ppdev,lp,parport_pc
pcspkr 3072 0
intel_agp 21148 1
agpgart 29896 2 fglrx,intel_agp
i2c_core 19680 1 i2c_i801
evdev 9088 1
ext3 119240 2
jbd 52456 1 ext3
mbcache 8356 1 ext3
sd_mod 19040 0
ide_disk 14848 4
ide_cd 36064 0
cdrom 32544 1 ide_cd
ata_piix 13576 0
libata 89396 1 ata_piix
scsi_mod 124168 2 sd_mod,libata
piix 9444 0 [permanent]
r8169 28360 0
ehci_hcd 28136 0
generic 5476 0 [permanent]
uhci_hcd 21164 0
usbcore 112644 3 ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
ide_core 110504 4 ide_disk,ide_cd,piix,generic
thermal 13608 0
processor 28840 1 thermal
fan 4804 0

=======================================
here's the chat, after a restart
04:13 izua nope. nothing.
izua mplayer shows the thing as running
-> t4mpan has joined debian
izua but i hear notinhg.
izua cmedia is out again from volume control list.
04:15 izua is ~opera@89.35.40.11 (izua)
izua is in the following rooms: debian
izua is using the server magnet.oftc.net (Darmstadt, Germany)
izua signed on at Sat 09 Feb 2008 09:12:58 PM EST, and has been idle 1 minute and 8 seconds
hax is ~hax@67-207-135-41.slicehost.net (hax)
hax is in the following rooms: linode, debian, cherrypy
hax is using the server osmotic.oftc.net (Grapevine, TX, USA)
izua playing as root doesn't work either
04:16 kmap izua: Argh

kmap izua: One favour

kmap izua: lsmod|grep cm

04:17 izua http://paste.debian.net/48833
04:18 kmap izua: Thanks, hold on

izua dude, i have to thank you, i'm the one bugging here
kmap izua: Strange. It seems to be there!

<- eldowan has disconnected (Remote host closed the connection)
-> sm120591 has joined debian
04:19 kmap Hmm.. I think the reason is that the intel stuff is also loaded...
izua that's my other soundcard, the onboard one.
<- sm120591 has disconnected (Remote host closed the connection)
-> Jannita has joined debian
kmap rmmod snd_hda_intel?
lupine no, that shouldn't affect it
Johanna changes nick to Guest978
Jannita changes nick to Johanna
04:20 lupine you should be able to get sound out of both at the same time
kmap lupine: OK, take over!
izua no sound.
<- hexmode has disconnected (Read error: Operation timed out)
lupine hah, no chance
izua well, if I have to remove it it's ok..
izua i used that for guitar processing, it's a really neat thing at recording
lupine generally uses onboard sound for VoIP
04:22 izua *listen to new bands right from the garage, try the new GoIP! Guitar-over-IP brings the best of amateur garage guitar players right into your TCP stack! earphones not includfed.*
izua </cheesy tv announcer voice>
izua well, i guess i can do an alsaconf..
izua but i don't want to do it at each system start..
kmap izua: DO me a favour. Mail this to debian-user@lists.d.o

04:23 -> hooty_ has joined debian
kmap (Just describe that alsaconf works, but startup doesn't)
<- Guest978 has disconnected (Ping timeout: 480 seconds)
izua should i list lsmod, lspci, dmesg, anything?
izua computer specs, etc..
kmap izua: It would be nice if you could list the last two pastes

kmap (One was after alsaconf, one before)
izua ok, i will.
-> hexmode has joined debian
<- hooty_ has disconnected (Remote host closed the connection)
<- thepretender84 has disconnected (Quit: Leaving)
kmap And some specs
04:24 izua debian-user@lists.d.o
izua right?
kmap Thanks! lists.debian.org
-> sysop has joined debian
kmap
izua debian-user@lists.debian.org ?
kmap This sort of problem shouldn't happen.
kmap Exactly. That's the place.
04:25 izua tbh, i'm not exactly sure what to say, since i don't understand too much. is it ok with you if i attach the conversation?
izua orr hmm, i think i'll just write a few words and attach it anyway..
izua (if that's ok with you, ofc)
kmap Up to you.
kmap Why of course! If more information is needed, people will ask you, so don't worry...
04:26 izua lol, i have 666 unread emails.
izua anyway
izua do you think if i reinstall the whole thing, sound will work?
kmap NO!
kmap It's like moving an elephant to lift a needle.
<- AzaTht has disconnected (Quit: Lämnar)
04:27 izua can you please give me the link to the paste before the last one?
kmap http://paste.debian.net/48832
04:28 kmap izua: OK, we'll follow it up there, on the list. See you later!