Re: USB pendrive mobility (fat32)?

Incoming from Adrian Levi:
> On 09/02/2008, s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, I think this stuff (talking to Win*) sucks too.  And this is a
> > Win* problem (sorry) but I'm a Debian user, not a Win* user, so I'm
> > ignorant wrt this stuff.  4 Gb pendrive from Staples:
> >
> > (0) phreaque [root] /etc_ fdisk -l /dev/sda
> >
> > Disk /dev/sda: 4103 MB, 4103938560 bytes
> > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 498 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> >
> >    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/sda1               1          38      305203+   b  W95 FAT32
> > /dev/sda2              39         127      714892+   b  W95 FAT32
> > /dev/sda3   *         128         225      787185   83  Linux
> > /dev/sda4             226         498     2192872+  83  Linux
> >
> > Plugging that into the corporate WinXP laptop only displays the first
> > ca. 300 Mb ptn.  Why doesn't it see the 2nd?  How have I borked the
> > ptn table?
>
> Please correct me if i'm wrong but I thought that windows could only
> handle one primary partition per device. Perhaps that is where your

Is that "USB" device?  That's new.  HDs can handle four primaries, or
three primaries and an extended which holds many logicals.  USB is
different?  Those are all primaries up there.

> problem lies. remake your pendrive with cylinders 39 127 as sda5
> (extended) and you should be fine I think.

Ick.  Doesn't that mean blowing away ptn4 then three then create
extended and ... (logical ...)?  Which I shouldn't really need to do
for my purposes.  I just want WinSPIT to see a couple of fat ptns on
the stick so I can transfer files.

[Booting Knoppix off the other ptns is an unrelated but interesting
sub-project (pendrivelinux....).]
(*)                                         Please don't Cc: me.
- -