Re: Setting up Debian on a mobile disk

Am 2008-02-01 09:26:59, schrieb Dan H.:
> Yes, I figured that. But it ain't easy. There's simply no way I can think of
> to make grub install itself on that disk. I have no idea which (hdx,y) to
> use. /dev/sda is flatly refused as it is not a "BIOS" disk. Why can't grub
> simply install itself on /dev/sda if I tell it to? Can't grub list all disk
> partitions in its funny notation so that I can see which one to use? All the
> time of course I'm in imminent danger of hosing the bootloader on my
> built-in disk.

You should not use ANY drives like /dev/sdXn or such...

You need to use LABEL or ID to load the right partition.

> Anyway, I'm really stumped on the bootloader issue now. Do I have to go back
> to LILO? Don't really want to because all those bootloading issues seem
> extremely fishy to me (because I don't understand them), and I don't want to
> have to mess with different bootloaders.

I am using LILO since GRUB drived me to much crazy...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)