How to set up a WLAN?

Hello,

this message is all the more strange since I had wireless up and running
with Debian once. But that system got hosed about a year ago for some reason
or another, and now I've got it set up again and I'm completely stumped with
the WLAN thingy.

$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G122 802.11g rev. B1
[ralink]

OK, this is a Ralink RT2500 chipset. I've built the rt2500usb module and
loaded it. ifconfig wlan0 up worked.

I'd like to connect to the public network that's set up around the campus.
What do I have to do to make it happen? Everybody else's Windoze and Mac laptop
simply connects to whatever network it happens to find.

There is a utility with the promising name "iwspy", but that tells me:

  wlan1 Interface doesn't support wireless statistic collection

Don't know what that means except that it doesn't work.

There are two Debian packages for this chipset: rt2500-source and
rt2x00-source. They provide different modules, but neither really seem to
work.

I do remember using some tools when I had this set up about a year ago that
listed all networks in the vicinity, and dumped screen upon screen of
network traffic. After an afternoon of playing with this stuff, straight
from Debian stable packages. Now I've been trying this for three days and
I'm not getting anywhere. Am I getting too old?

Thanks,
--D.