Re: Alsa - no sound: I need to repeatedly run alsaconf every time I reboot computer

Mitchell Laks wrote:
[...]
> a) My problem was _not_ that some individual applications did not  work.
> My problem was "total loss of sound". For instance, KDE did not make
> its 'KDE' sound when it started  up after I hit startx. I had to run
> alsaconf to get sound started again. /etc/init.d/alsa stop then start
> as root did not help...
>
> b) It seems to have been a Kmix setting problem. As soon as I went into
> the kmix setting as pointed out by the other respondent, and unchecked
> 'Restore volumes on login' which is some kind of kmix bug, (whatever it means
> :)) I now   have full sound (insofar as I checked...).
>
> c) I ended up deleting arts (and with it went kde-core). No effect so far.
>
> I don't know about your reported bug and I don't think your issues
> have hit me, for example I just tried xmms and it works fine on my system.
> Thank you for responding though...

Thanks for your reply, Mitchell.

The issue did sound similar to mine - total loss of sound in a new session until
alsaconf was re-run. As I recall, alsa was defaulting to unused built-in sound,
but the speakers were plugged into the PCI card and I had previously configured
the PCI card as default. I am not running KDE though, and it sounds like you
problem might lie there. Apparently alsaconf may have problems prior to
alsa-utils 1.0.14-2 [1]. I think I'll upgrade to Lenny soon (alsa-utils 1.0.15-1).

Glad you got it fixed.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/09/msg01370.html

--
Chris.