Re: low-MHz server

On Feb 3, 2008, at 8:53 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
I was also wondering, re RF/EMF shielding, if a rack-mount server in a
half-height rack with front and back doors may be a good way to go.
With the doors closed, there's a lot fewer openings large enough for the
EMF to get out.

I haven't been following this thread closely, so maybe this has already been brought up, but have you considered putting the machine in another room and placing only the monitor, keyboard, and mouse at your wife's workstation? You can get one room over with typical KVM extension cables, and if you need to put it farther away you can get devices that can transmit KVM signals over CAT5 cable. EM field strength drops off with the square of the distance, so you shouldn't have to get it very far away to make a big difference. The lack of audible noise will be a nice bonus, and might contribute a placebo effect.

I once took this approach to dealing with a high-end CAD workstation that was just plain too noisy for an office environment. The user was located against a wall shared with a warehouse space, so we drilled a 1" hole in the wall and used extension cables. Sometimes the simple solutions are the best.