Re: Alsa - no sound: I need to repeatedly run alsaconf every time I reboot computer

On Sunday 03 February 2008 20:06, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> On 17:34 Sun 03 Feb     , Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Mitchell. I'm half guessing here, but there are some snd modules that
> > are notorious for grabbing card0. Modem ones stand out, along with
> > snd-bt87x.
> >
> > I see that along with your snd-via82xx, the snd-via82xx_modem is loaded,
> > and that may be what is causing the problem. Your /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> > is showing snd-via82xx set up correctly, but if the modem module is in
> > fact grabbing card0, snd-via82xx would still be loaded as well, but as
> > the modem module has already grabbed first place (card0), the actual
> > soundcard module would not be able to also use the card0 position, as
> > setup
> > in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
> >
> > The fact that cat /proc/asound/cards shows what appears to be the actual
> > soundcard, this may be in fact the modem module.
> >
> > I havn't got any Debian install booted up at the mo, but you could
> > blacklist the snd-via82xx_modem module in /etc/modules.d/blacklist, or
> > try adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound.
> > install snd-via82xx_modem /bin/true
> >
> > The above line will cause the module to be ignored.
> >
> > Alternatively, add an options line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound, as below.
> >
> > options snd-via82xx_modem index=2
> >
> > I don't think you have to also put an alias line, as it appears that,
> > that line already exists somewhere.
> >
> > Just a few pointers.
> >
> > All the best.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Thank you Nigel for the information:
>
> I disabled the modem driver (didnt even notice that I have any modem :))
> by uncommenting the line
> in
> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist
> ie:
> # Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
> # blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
> # blacklist snd-intel8x0m
> blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
>
> now I dont have the modem driver loaded in lsmod

> However, I still dont have sound when I reboot.
>
> IN fact I notice that I dont even have sound if I do:
>
> alsaconf
> (gets me sound)
> speaker-test
> alsactl store
>
> then even if I simply kill kde, and then startx again -  still no sound!
> So I dont even have to reboot, simply ending kde kills sound
> and then  i need to reinstall via alsaconf.
> very upsetting!
>
> Any ideas???
> Thanks
> Mitchell Laks

Hi Mitchell. I too use KDE, and have had problems with Kmix messing with mixer
settings on some distros.

Does KDE, when you login give you any message saying sound is not available?

I have Sarge. Etch, and Lenny available. Sid is a bit too near the edge for
me. Do you have the same sound problem booting from other kernels that you
have installed?

Looking back at mixer settings when you bootup. Alsactl restore should run
when you bootup, which will restore the mixer settings that alsactl store did
when you last shutdown. A problem I have had in the past is that Kmix will
alter these settings. To explain a bit more. Alsactl restore runs when you
bootup, and alsamixer's settings are as you left them when you shutdown. Now
you login to KDE, and Kmix enters the equation. Depending on the default
settings in Kmix, Kmix will change the alsamixer settings when you login to
KDE, and depending on the default settings in Kmix, you may have no sound
output.

I thought this problem had been resolved, but it's worth opening alsamixer on
the CLI (Konsole) when you are booted up, and logged into KDE. Have a good
look at all the controls that are there for your card. My alsamixer controls
are useless to you (audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1)). Mixer controls are
soundcard specific.

Also have a look at Kmix's "Settings"/ "Configure-Kmix". The "Restore volumes
on login" box is the one that used to create problems. Make sure that it's
unchecked.

Which laptop/pc are you using?

Lots of patience, and one thing at a time. Hopefully the problem will be
resolved sooner, rather than later.

All the best.

Nigel.