fsck.ext3

After converting my file system to ext3, I thought there would be
no more lengthy fsck's every 20 or so boot-ups. But they still
happen.

Some Googling revealed different opinions; some people say "ext3
does not need periodic fsck's", others say "even with ext3, it is
best to fsck every N boots, because PC hardware is cr*p". And
there are also several different methods (apparently) for
disabling periodic fsck's.

Is there a "standard Debian doctrine" or "standard Debian
practice" for this?

Regards, Jan