Re: A GPG question

Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com>:
>  On Mon January 28 2008, s. keeling wrote:
> > >
> > > Q: How can I remove an email address from my GPG key? I'm
> > > changing jobs, so one of my three addresses won't be valid any
> > > more. Do I have to make a new key pair from scratch? If so, how
> > > can my "web of trust" (I don't have one so this is rather
> > > theoretical) be transferred from the old to the new key?
> >
> > I've been wondering this myself since my old ISP went TU.  I've
> > considered generating a new key and signing it with the old key.
> > Presumably, that would produce a reliable enough lineage.  What's the
> > right way?
> >
> > This is probably a faq. Hmm, "aptitude search gnupg-doc"is a hit.
>
>  when you find out, let me know. I screwed up my main key by adding
>  an email address ( the one for this list). It seems to have taken
>  over the main email address now, so I obviously did it wrong...

I've no idea whether it's authoratative, but:

   http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_doc/startgnupg.html#revoke

lists two reasons why to revoke a key (compromised or forgot
passphrase), neither of which applies here.

So far, it seems the most reasonable action is to create a new
keypair, sign it with the old one, and upload new to keyserver.  Maybe
wait a year/decade/century then upload the revoke of the original (or
never?) and revisit the question then?

I'm floundering here too.  Don't take my advice.  BTW, the faq doesn't
mention this, and neither does gnupg-doc.