Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2008 #225

On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> was
heard to say:
> > >  Q: How can I remove an email address from my GPG key?
>
> > I've been wondering this myself since my old ISP went TU.  I've
> > considered generating a new key and signing it with the old key.
>
> when you find out, let me know. I screwed up my main key by adding
> an email address ( the one for this list). It seems to have taken
> over the main email address now, so I obviously did it wrong...

Ok, folks, quick GPG lesson.

$ gpg --edit-key 0x12345678 help

This will bring up GPG a interactive mode, with a full list of
available options. Make sure you're in a terminal window you can
scroll back in.

This is also what you get in KGpg if you "edit key in terminal".

At the top will be the key you have chosen to edit:

- -------------
pub  1024D/12345678  created: 2006-05-31  expires: never   usage: SCA
                     trust: ultimate      validity: ultimate
sub  1024g/12345678  created: 2006-05-31  expires: never   usage: E
[ultimate] (1). Curt Howland <Howland@Priss.com>
[ultimate] (2)  Curt Howland <AddressToDelete@bogus-ISP.com>

Command> _

- -------------

The command list given is long, so I won't reproduce it here.

Command> uid 2

This will make uid 2 the selected ID to edit, an asterisk will appear:

- -------------
[ultimate] (2)* Curt Howland <AddressToDelete@bogus-ISP.com>
- -------------

Then the command to delete that particular User ID...

Command> deluid

...and it's done.

Personally, I'd make sure that there was a second, valid, userID on
the key before editing. :^)

Save and exit, and it's done. I _assume_ that uploading that key will
override the userIDs on the keyserver, but that's left as an exercise
for the student.

Sorry I didn't reply yesterday, but it was just this discussion that
made me want to try it myself.

Curt-

- --
November 5th: $4.3Million Dollars In One Day
December 16th: $6 Million Dollars In One Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxldrCsVByA