Where to put a custom system cleanup script?

Hello,

for a home computer that gets shutdown daily, I'd like to implement a
function which:

1. makes sure that all pending outgoing mails are sent off. The system uses
   its local exim to send mail over the (slow) net, and I don't want to pull
   the plug on longish emails that are being sent. Essentially the shutdown
   process should stop and proceed only after exim is finished with its
   business. Is running "exim -q" enough for that?

2. makes backups of all user home directories. For this I'd prefer the
   system to be in single-user mode so that no files can change dureing
   backup (in reality this is not so important because nobody does anything
   on this machine after X has shut down.

While I know how to properly write an init script (I'm going to rely on the
Debian policy for this) I'm unsure as to the runlevel these actions should
be taken. The exim thing of course must happen before the network shuts down
and the backup should be the last thing before the disks are unmounted.

Suggestions, anyone?

--D.