Trying to get on the web with wvdial.

Greetings

I am trying to make the move the Etch. Before I can make the move I need to
insure I can get on the internet. (Much of my college work is on the
internet.)

I am attempting to connect to my ISP with wvdial. The instructions I found
states that I should run wvdialconf command. I did. It sets a few settings
for you. The instructions state that I should now change the phone number in
the wvdial.conf file to the appropriate settings. I did that. I then ran the
wvdial command per instructions and the dude takes off and dial out and
appears to establish a connection. I try to ping my college's server and
nothing. I tried to view a web page with a browser and nothing. (I did all
the above as root.)

The ifconfig seems to show that I am connected. Running the route command
shows that there is an entry for ppp0.

Now am I missing something? No messing around with the resolve.conf file of
hosts file? Is there a default route that I am missing that needs to be
changed?

Connecting to the internet is now the only barrier that keeps me from making
the move to Etch, and removing the SuSE 10.3 (which has a slew of odd
problems) from my system. Any information will be helpful.

Best Regards
Walt L. Williams

I have a 1.2 GHZ AMD Athlon, with an external USR V-Everything modem.