Re: Brief question as to the Linux kernel in use in the Stable version of Etch

On Sunday 27 January 2008 00:48, dick thompson wrote:
> I have looked all through the info and the best I can find is that Etch
> uses version 2.6.18 of the Linux kernel.  Since the stable version was
> put out there in the early part of Jan 2008, that seems like a very old
> version to be releasing.  Am I right that this is the version in use?
> If so that does not support my ethernet connection and I will have to
> look elsewhere for a Linux to use.
>
> My ethernet adapter is an ATTANSIC Gigabyte L1 (also released since the
> takeover of ATTANSIC by ATHEROS as the ATHEROS Gigabyte L1.

  It may be possible to find driver code that you can compile
and insert into your server.  I recently did this for an
Attansic 10/100 L2 adapter that came built in to the motherboard
of some new machines that I wanted to  keep at "stable".  The
driver code was on the CD of software that came with the mobo,
and worked fine -- in this case it was the "atl2" driver.

  A quick google reveals a link to a "vendor" version of your
driver at <http://atl1.sourceforge.net/>, first link under the
heading "Vendor version".  I'm not linking to the thing itself,
because there's lots of other good info on that SourceForge page
that might help you.

  Another alternative, if you want to stay with a stock kernel,
is to put a different NIC in the box.  NICs are cheap, and there
are lots of gigabit ethernet cards that have had Linux support
in the default kernel for years.

  Or, as others have suggested, you can try Debian
testing/"lenny", or upgrade the kernel only.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net