Re: Brief question as to the Linux kernel in use in the Stable version of Etch

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 01/27/08 01:54, Chris Henry wrote:
On Jan 27, 2008 3:41 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
On 2008-01-27 08:23 +0100, David Palmer wrote:
Then you need to upgrade to the 'lenny' distribution.
Or depending on what you are running, even SID.
That's my standard desktop now.
Please stop giving such clueless and *totally wrong* advice.  It is
perfectly possible (and in fact very easy) to just install a new kernel
and keep the rest of the system at the stable version.

I have to agree here. sid can be horribly broken at times and might

In my desktop GNOME+xorg experience, it's been a *LONG LONG time*
since Sid has been horribly broken enough that I couldn't use X or a
GUI MUA or browser.

Absolutely true. I run all Sid and have never had a complete breakdown.

not suit you, especially on your first dive to Debian. Lenny is much
more stable but still gave me quite a headache sometime (this was the
first Debian distro I used, back during Woody days). My suggestion is
to use stable (etch) distribution for a start and either recompile
your own kernel or download the 2.6.22 from debian-backports (I think
this was stated previously by somebody).

See here for instruction on debian backports:
http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions