Re: wine broken after Etch reinstall

On Jan 26, 2008 4:09 PM, tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> i solved the problem by installing wine from source (the latest version), then
> reinstalling Chessbase.
>
> question: is the difference likely to be that i put the newest wine version on
> my system, or simply that i installed from source?

Hard to say, but in my experience, wine will work with a particular
program fine for several versions, then break (partially or completely)
for a version or two, then work again.

In any case it is possible to up-to-date debs from here:
http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

They have an etch version now, and it is possible to use the Ubuntu
versions on Debian - I am using Sid with the Ubuntu Gutsy wine debs.

Even when the main Debian Wine has been up-to-date, I have had
better luck with the above-mentioned version.

Cheers,
Kelly