Re: Pulseaudio to replace ESD in lenny?

On Jan 26, 2008 8:03 PM, Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> wrote:
> RH 8 has switched to pulseaudio, SUSE is considering it. I was wondering
> what was on the mind of the Debian developers. Are they considering
> switching to it at some point in the future?
>
> For you users who have tried pulseaudio, I have two questions: Did you

I love PulseAudio! I used to run KDE, and I quickly decided to disable
and remove arts - it was very unstable and flaky. Then I used Fluxbox
and other WMs. I tried esd, but found it as bad as arts. So for a long
time I used bare ALSA (not even any dmix). At the beginning of this
month, I got around to setting up PA, and it works great!

I have had no problem mixing sounds, and no problems getting things
to play.  Mplayer, Xine and SDL all have pulse support, and vlc is
working fine, thanks to alsa emulation. Thanks to a third party library
called et-sdl-sound, even Quake III works fine. All this is on Sid btw.

Anyway, it is so hassle-free and good that it seems like I have been
using it for much longer than 3-4 weeks. I wouldn't go back to bare
alsa, and certainly not arts or esd.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers