Re: How to set up simple cgi web

On 1/26/08, Micaela Gallerini <mat.r.gl@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/1/26, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I thought if I create /www or /etc/www in my debian PC, and add an
> > index.htm and cgi file to cgi-bin directory, I should be able to
> > access http://my_ip_address/index.html. But, it did not work. how can
> > I make that work?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> hi,
>    apache work on var/www not etc/www. Afterwards, you create the directory on
>
> /var/www not in /etc
>
> if you use apache2, you manually set the dir /var/www in:
>
> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf

Sorry for not being clear. I actually did not want to install apache,
I am just doing my program to use freecgi library and want to test the
cgi binary file on my local machine. I was told I could set up a
simple web server to use a browser http://my_ip_address to invoke the
cgi file without installing the apache. Or, is it wrong?

I changed /www to /var/www, but the browser still got an error message
"You tried to access the address http://my_ip_address/, which is
currently unavailable"

Or, I might just be missing the whole point?

Thank you.

Jim