Re: OT: How to detect a keypress, and in which language?

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 04:27:50PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> was heard to say:
Turns out that keypress access *is* the hardest. You have that in Qt but you have to be running in X and within a widget. It's ridiculous to do all that to find out if a key is pressed.

I have no idea how to find out in low-level programming whether a key is depressed.

Any kernel savvy people out there?

  Have you looked at SDL?  It gives you fairly simple access to the
keyboard, and I *think* it can work outside X.

Package: libsdl1.2debian (1.2.13-1 and others)

"SDL is a library that allows programs portable low level access to a video framebuffer, audio output, mouse, and keyboard."

have not tried that.

Hugo