Re: FLOSS VOIP Client Software

Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
Hello fellow debian users,

I am trying to look for a decent FLOSS VOIP software that allows me to communicate to Windows/Mac users. Skype is out of the question since it does not even support Debian PPC (which I have).

I have heard of Ekiga. How is that? Does that work with Windows/Mac users using Skype clients?

What do you guys use?

Any information will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Amit

The easiest option assuming you have some control over your network and can open some ports is to use Ekiga at your end and NetMeeting at the other, on most windows PCs you can start NetMeeting by "start" "run" and then type "conf" you'll be using the old VOIP protocol H323 and not SIP but I used it for years and it's bloody good, only you will be able to receive the calls and you'll want to set up dyndns or similar so the other end has a consistent name to dial.

Failing that the only windows SIP clients that support H.261 [0] are Ekiga and Windows Messenger 5.1 (Messenger is not MSN)
config tutorial here
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Connecting_Windows_Messenger_5.1_to_ekiga.net
Also see
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Which_programs_work_with_Ekiga_%3F#Windows

Good luck, I'm really looking forward to Ekiga 3

[0] at present Ekiga 2.0.11 (current) doesn't support the newer H.263 video compression codec that most modern SIP clients use, however Ekiga 3 will
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Roadmap_to_3.00