Re: cd seen as blank cd

On Friday 25 January 2008 05:29, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 04:44:35AM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 January 2008 17:54, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > On a new Etch-amd64 install, when I load a cd in the drive, it is seen
> > > as blank cd. Now, say I take a debian install cd, it is seen at boot,
> > > and I can start the instalation ( I stopped before formating, I would
> > > rather not re-install). In fstab, I have:
> > > /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > > Thanks
> >
> > More information: In k3b, I can mount the cd's and see what's in it. But
> > the storage applet says blank cdrom, and if I try to open it with
> > Konqueror, I get a message "malformed url". Nothing shows up in
> > /media/cdrom0 either as user or as root.
> > I am at lost on that one...
> > Thierry
>
> We need an actual error message.  I know: you're using a pointy-clicky
> thingy.  Get to a command line and try:
>
> $ mount /dev/hda
>
> Give us the error.
>
> Try removing the udf part of the fstab entry.  Perhaps its getting
> confused.  A normal CD should be iso9660.
>
> Install the package cdck and run it on the cd.  It doesn't need to be
> mounted: it tries to read the whole CD and checks for problems at the
> bit-on-the-media level.
>
> Give us the output of any commands you run.
>
> Doug.

I get no error on mount command. If I mount it manually, then I have something
in /media/cdrom0, but ithe cd is shown by kde as a blank cd, and I can't open
it in Konqueror (see above). If I put a audio cd, or any type of cd it shows
as blank. I put the cd drive on another box, it works fine, I tried an other
cd drive on this box, changing the cable as well: same problem. The cds I
tried are ok on the other box.
Well looking at what I wrote, it looks like a problem on kde/konqueror. Also I
had to install an other box with Etch 4.0r2, and I have the same problem!!!
Thierry