Re: mscompress

On Thu January 24 2008, Angus Auld wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Paul. So, if I understand, a
> windows binary
> installation package .exe isn't like a nix binary like
> .deb or .rpm?

not exactly. look for the homepage, maybe it explains better:

MsCompress for Windows

MsCompress: compress data using LZ77 algorithm
Version

0.3
Description

MsCompress is a Microsoft "compress.exe/expand.exe" compatible (de)compressor.
This package contains two programs:

    * msexpand, which decompresses files compressed by Microsoft compress.exe
utility (e.g. Win 3.x installation files)
    * mscompress, which compresses files using LZ77 compression algorithm.
Output files can be decompressed using Microsoft expand.exe or msexpand(1).

Homepage

ftp://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/mhi/mscompress

> I thought it was, well sort of anyway.
> What exactly is mscompress/msexpand supposed to do?
>
> I want to extract some icons from an MSN_Messenger.exe
>
> binary package. Is there no way to do that?

no, you don't extract icons from an EXE. try google:
icons msn messenger
I got this site ( for one):

http://www.msnicon.com/

it has 3,000 icons

> Sorry if I have misunderstood.

no need to be sorry, we are all learning here!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800