Re: mscompress

--- Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Thu January 24 2008, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply Paul. So, if I understand, a
> > windows binary
> > installation package .exe isn't like a nix binary
> like
> > .deb or .rpm?
>
> not exactly. look for the homepage, maybe it
> explains better:
>
> MsCompress for Windows
>
> MsCompress: compress data using LZ77 algorithm
> Version
>
> 0.3
> Description
>
> MsCompress is a Microsoft "compress.exe/expand.exe"
> compatible (de)compressor.
> This package contains two programs:
>
>     * msexpand, which decompresses files compressed
> by Microsoft compress.exe
> utility (e.g. Win 3.x installation files)
>     * mscompress, which compresses files using LZ77
> compression algorithm.
> Output files can be decompressed using Microsoft
> expand.exe or msexpand(1).
>
> Homepage
>
> ftp://ftp.penguin.cz/pub/users/mhi/mscompress
>

> > I thought it was, well sort of anyway.
> > What exactly is mscompress/msexpand supposed to
> do?
> >
> > I want to extract some icons from an
> MSN_Messenger.exe
> >
> > binary package. Is there no way to do that?
>
> no, you don't extract icons from an EXE. try google:
> icons msn messenger
> I got this site ( for one):
>
> http://www.msnicon.com/
>
> it has 3,000 icons
> >
> > Sorry if I have misunderstood.
>
> no need to be sorry, we are all learning here!
>

> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

Thanks Paul for the help. I sort of wanted to look
inside of an exe,
as I am rather curious about such things. I thought
maybe I could
find some nice icons while in there.

Thanks for the link to the site as well. It should
more than satisfy
may iconic (?) needs.

I can't seem to find very much info about mscompress,
and what
it does or how to use it. That seems strange to me.
I have searched quite a bit, but remain in the dark
more or less
about it.
The link you provided to the mscompress homepage is
requiring
login. I tried as "guest", but it was no go.
I found this listed as homepage of mscompress from
freshmeat.net:

http://martin.hinner.info/mscompress/

But, there is little info of help there either.
Mysterious.

Thanks again.
Regards.

-- Angus

######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

Be a better friend, newshound, and