Re: OT: How to detect a keypress, and in which language?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Kent West wrote:
Too bad; I think a lot of the hams would have enjoyed writing a simple little program to turn their PCs into a Morse keyer.

I am no radio hammmer (?) no morse code since I was a boyscout 60 years ago. But I would think that one would rather use let's say the space bar as a key for either dit's or dah's. Or alternatively just type text and the program would translate in dit's and dah's. More interesting would be to use the key and see if the program can read what is being keyed.

The space bar as a keyer would be fine as a straight-key (just the single up-down paddle you see in the movies about the Old West), but I was thinking more along the lines of emulating a paddle (two side-ways keys mounted back-to-back, so that your thumb produces dits and your fore/middle finger produces dahs as you barely move your hand left-right-left). But it would be trivial to modify the program from one mode to the other. The hard part, as we've all discovered, is reading the keys while bypassing the buffer and controlling the speaker.

That would indeed be interesting for the program to recognize and display what is being keyed; that would be a good training aid for producing clean code; if the computer can't read your hand, the ham on the other side of the world will have trouble reading it also.

--
Kent