Re: OT: How to detect a keypress, and in which language?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Kent West(westk@acu.edu) is reported to have said:
All I want to do is to detect two keys, say the left- and right-shift keys, or the < and > keys. For one key, a short "dit" audio tone would be generated, and for the other key, a longer "dah" audio tone would be generated. I need to bypass the keyboard buffer, so that holding down the dit key for two seconds doesn't generate 30 dits; it should produce dits while the key is held down, but once the key is let up, the dits should immediately stop (after finishing the one it's on).

Found kbhit(), found beep. But it's not trivial to press '<' and have the sound quit when you stop pressing: it keeps beeping until the keyboard buffer is empty I guess. Do beeping in the background?

Code thusfar:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/2314e21f-19b9-4063-8874-72ac36480e00/do_dit_dah

Wow! You've put in a lot of work. And it looks good. But it's way too complex for the average non-programming ham radio operator. I've about concluded that there's not a simple solution (and definitely not a simple cross-platform solution) for what I wanted to do. Sadly, I think it's a lost cause.

I had thought about dropping the cross-platform requirement, and just suggesting to everyone to use a Knoppix LiveCD to do this PC-cum-Morse-keyer program, but from this discussion, and my own personal failure to find a solution, I think it's not going to happen. Too bad; I think a lot of the hams would have enjoyed writing a simple little program to turn their PCs into a Morse keyer.

Thanks anyway!

--
Kent