RE: /var/archive

[snip]
> /var/archives is strange that in my box I have: /var/cache/apt/archives To
> clean the archives after upgrade you have to do:

Yes, my mistake; it's where you say.

> sudo apt-get clean

Done that - works a treat!
What is the object of the archive, though?

Thanks very much to all who replied.

Cheers, Tony

Every time you do a 'apt-get upgrade', that's where those packages go.  So
if at some future time you have to re-install a particular package, you
don't have to re-download the package.  Another point, you can either use
'apt-get clean', which removes the contents of that directory, or 'apt-get
autoclean' which only removes the older packages, leaving the superseded
packages intact.  That helps in cleaning up some disk space without removing
everything.  That's good if you have the room.

-mike
--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England