Kernel panic with a recompiled LVM kernel.

Hello!

I have compiled kernel for many years but this is a big problem:

i've setting up a Debian 4.0 'etch' server with, for the first time,
scsi disk partitioned with LVM, so i can manage it in a better way.

The problem is that after a right recompilation of kernel i'm getting
the classic kernel panic, like this:

VFS: cannot open root device "XXXXXXXX" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on blablabla

I think that the kernel config is right !
Static ( and not module ) filesystem checked, lvm support checked and
all other useful option for my hardware are checked, but WITHOUT initrd.

May be the lack of the initrd to cause kernel panic ?
LVM must use initrd ?

Any help would be appreciated !

--
Christopher Bianchi