Re: cpufrequtils SOLVED

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
I run vmworkstation.  I do not want my desktop to use ondemand.

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
userspace conservative ondemand powersave performance

when I edit /etc/init.d./cpufrequtils

.......snip
# Set ENABLE to "true" to let the script run at boot time.
#
# eg:    ENABLE="true"
#    GOVERNOR="ondemand"
#    MAX_SPEED=1000
#    MIN_SPEED=500

ENABLE="true"
GOVERNOR="ondemand"
MAX_SPEED="0"
MIN_SPEED="0"

and have it say GOVERNOR="performance"

it will not come up from a boot that way. I will still have cpu frequency scaling running. I have to run /etc/init.d/cpufrequtils from the cli, and yet it IS in the rc.d scripts.

Anybody knows what is going on here?

Perhaps a better option for me would be to use userspace and manually set the freq (full when running vms, slower when not needed) and that way I will not always be sucking down the juice. What would a good userspace tool be? dual core amd cpus.

I am running gnome desktop so I dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets, set up frequency applet with suid root. This allows me the ability to use the applets to set the CPU scale. I can now choose an exact speed for my procs OR explicitly set the CPU governor by double clicking on the app. This should allow me to set the CPU freq to full, then fire up vmworkstation and my vms will not get confused as to the CPU speed.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com