formatting ext3 vs fat32 while copying files

Greets.

I recently copied a bunch of files from a fat32 flash to my ext3
(~/Desktop). Some of them are cyrilics and became ????????.mp3 or
similar. I can copy then within the ext3 but if i try to copy them to
another fat32 i get a bunch of errors, mostly "invalid parameters".
Also when trying to chmod the whole thing from root to the regular
user i get Operation not permited...
So i have a bunch of files i can't copy to other filesystems.

I get this regardless of the filemanager i use - the default is thunar
(i think...could be gnome's), but i prefer rox-filer.

Is there some sort of abstraction layer, or filter or whatever that
will convert everything to Unicode? At least rox-filer will mark badly
(unicode)named files in red, but it would be great it that was
transparent even when mv/cp flies. I.e. to have a default unicode
system. Xmms will sometimes show ID3 tags garbled for instance.

--
Fica bem, porta-te mal.
Be well, misbehave.