etch --> testing

An associate is not quite as avid a linux user as I am (though he's been at it at least as long). He's got a machine that's running etch that he uses as a general all-purpose workstation desktop (gnome, icedove, iceweasel, ooo, emacs, cups, and a bunch more often-used apps). He's really eager to upgrade from etch to something newer. So I thought I'd ask here about any possible pitfalls, or suggestions of how best to get him to a semi-stable bunch of packages from testing/lenny. For that matter is there any information about when a lenny freeze might happen? (so that I can help him time a in switch his /etc/apt/sources.list back from testing to lenny so that he can avoid shooting himself in the foot later)

Anyhow, if I were going to do this without anyone else's input (go from etch to testing), here's the way I'd attempt it on my own machine:

 aptitude update; aptitude upgrade   // to make sure etch is current
change /etc/apt/sources.list  by applying s/etch/testing/
 aptitude update
 aptitude install aptitude
 aptitude install apt-listbugs
 aptitude safe-upgrade  (if that's available in the aptitude in testing right now)

	thanks much in advance for any suggestions,
		~c