Re: Where do you put your swap partition?

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:59:25PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Still, with 512 MB of RAM going for $30, someone who can't afford
> enough RAM for a typical desktop system probably has more pressing
> concerns than spending time tinkering with Linux to try to wring out
> the last bit of performance.

It's not necessarily a matter of cost...  The machine I'm typing this
on, for instance, has 4 RAM slots.  Each will accept up to 256M.  (It
is, admittedly, a bit on the old side.)  However, the slots are only
recognized sequentially and there's something wrong with the second
slot, such that putting RAM into it causes memory corruption.  So it's
pretty much limited to 256M until I decide that it's worth the trouble
of installing a new motherboard.  It still works more than well enough
that I feel no need to do so.  And, yes, it does make use of swap, but
very, very rarely to the point of being particularly noticable.  (And,
when it does become annoying, it's usually because my browser has
bloated out to consume the majority of physical RAM, so just closing and
reopening it fixes that right quick.)

--
I reckon we are now the only monastry ever that had a dungeon stuffed with
sixteen thousand zombies.